Skip to main content

(Dis)Comfort and Joy

 In the summer, I was traveling to London on the train. It was a birthday treat and the idea of driving didn't spark much joy. As I normally travel by car, the train was an adventure - to start with! And then, like the Hobbits leaving the shire, it didn't quite go to plan! I'll leave the full story for another day but traveling by train the same day that Taylor Swift was in Wembley wasn't such a great idea. The trains were absolutely chockablock. We spent an hour stood toe to toe, head to armpits, as hundreds of people squashed into a train that was already full. Yet the passengers were laughing, chatting and sharing life stories as we trundled down the tracks. The discomfort, apparently, was worth it and we left the station wishing our new besties a wonderful time. If that was a Monday morning of commuters, I'm pretty sure the atmosphere wouldn't be quite so joy filled. What we're willing and even able to endure, can definitely be connected with the perceived reward at the other side. 

Fast forward a couple of months and I was clambering up a mountain, hot, dripping wet and out of breath. I knew it was going to happen. I'd been in training all summer:- Swimming, paddle boarding, biking, hiking. I'm not particularly fit and if I was going to enjoy all that Norway had to offer, it was worth putting some effort in to improve my fitness levels beforehand. As I reached the top of a stunning waterfall, complete with rainbow, I knew it had been worth it. The next day, on our way ziplining, we headed out on a train ride up the mountain. The train stopped next to a stunning waterfall and, alongside a few hundred people on a cruise ship excursion, we stood, took pictures and "ooh"d but I couldn't help notice that I didn't have quite the same appreciation for it, even though it was more impressive. It hadn't cost the same so perhaps I couldn't value it in the same way?

The training through the year hadn't been purely physical. As far back as I can remember, I've had panic attacks when I go uphill. A few times I've had to lie on the floor and wait for it to pass. I haven't had that extreme reaction for decades, but it's still not pleasant. I decided it was time to get to the bottom of the problem. I started walking by myself up Moel Eilio. From the carpark it's an easy 2 hour walk to get to the top and back with time for a picnic (my treat to myself for the hard work!). Twenty-five minutes in, as my body started to let me know it was working, panic arrived to keep me company. And so I stopped. I let myself feel the panic, and listened carefully to my thoughts. I asked Jesus to help me see where it stemmed from and he showed me. I carried on up the mountain and I did the same whenever the panic kicked in. I did the hike a few times, each time getting a deeper understanding of what was happening in me, each time enjoying the walk more and more. The fear was never about the mountain. It was deeper, and took time to get to. Some memories where no bigger than emotional chippings that must have seemed like huge boulders to carry around as a child. They were easy enough to get rid of. Time puts a different perspective on things, but not always an easier one. I'm not yet ready to openly share what Jesus helped remove in those days. Like someone who's been under a good surgeons knife, the wounds need time to heal, and once they do, there'll be scars and these I'll show to the world, giving honour to the skill of the one who sewed me up so beautifully.

Through it all I felt the kindness of God on the mountain with me, whispering "I've got you."

I knew there was freedom the other side, and that made looking at the dark, scary and uncomfortable things worth doing. There are times we endure crappy stuff and it makes no sense why, and the light doesn't seem to be shining down any tunnel, but there IS joy set before us on the otherside. Every story can be redeemed, every cut healed.  Taylor Swift has a song called "I Can Do It With a Broken Heart" and I've lived like that, looking like I have it altogether. I've done that so well, and it's easy - until it isn't. But why settle for that, when there's chance to let the surgeon do what he does so well; heal!


The Spirit of the Lord, the Eternal, is on me.

The Lord has appointed me for a special purpose.

He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor.

He has sent me to repair broken hearts,

And to declare to those who are held captive and bound in prison,

“Be free from your imprisonment!”


Come to Me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Put My yoke upon your shoulders—it might appear heavy at first, but it is perfectly fitted to your curves. Learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble of heart. When you are yoked to Me, your weary souls will find rest. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Rules, Responsibility and Rebellion 2/3

  I love to watch movies where good versus evil and like most viewers I'm rooting for good to triumph. But every now and then the writers add a twist. You spend the entire film cheering on the goodie only to find at the last minute there was information you didn't know which changes everything, and you'd been on the wrong side all along!  Throughout history there are those who were once considered rebels, that we now see as heroes. Rosa Parks, Martin Luther and... Jesus! The pharisees in the time of Jesus were strict observers of not only the written Law but also the many traditional oral laws passed down through the generations. They were determined to keep themselves set apart for God. That's a good thing right? Jesus on the other worked on the Sabbath (healing people) and allowed His disciples to also (picking and eating wheat) He spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes and taught women. These were not the actions of someone keeping the status quo. To add insu...