Skip to main content

Goodbye 2020



It doesn't seem right to speak about what I'm hearing from heaven for 2021 without mentioning 2020 first!

This time last year was the first time that I'd shared what I'd heard in my yearly "What are you wanting to do this year? " chats with God. I'd heard that it was a year to deal with old hurts. Past pain that was stopping us move forward.

During 2020 many of us have had our eyes significantly opened to the real heartbreak and pain people are facing on a daily basis, just because of skin colour. I'm hoping this will be the start of a real move forward. People having opportunities to share their stories and being really heard is so important and brings healing.

The specific words I'd heard for 2020 were Pain, rest, completion. Facing pain is messy and emotional and it has made this year a really "noisy" year. It's the hard part of sharing and listening to each others stories. It can stir up resentment and pain in us that we then have to face. That's why the rest was so necessary. Taking time to really work out why we become defensive about things, to forgive those who have hurt us, to ask and accept forgiveness for the things we've done to hurt others.

I have to admit I'd like completion to mean everything finished and wonderful, like a Disney "and they all lived happily ever after." and 2020 hasn't ticked that box for me but it has brought healing for areas in my life and that has allowed me to see life from a different perspective. Perhaps that's enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...