Skip to main content

2020

Every new year I like to spend time "listening" to what heaven is whispering about the year to come. It helps me prepare my spirit, and aligns my prayers to what God is wanting to do. This year I want to share what I've heard. God knows each one of us and speaks to us all individually, so this might not be what he's telling you, but if you read this and your spirit is stirred, it's probably for you.

The three words that I'm hearing are pain, rest and completion. Pain - it doesn't evoke anything very encouraging, but hear me out.

As a society we do everything we can to escape pain. Physically, that's obviously wise. But when we hide or run away from emotional and spiritual pain we can be left living shadow lives. We wrap ourselves in temporary comfort. It looks different for us all, and while it's easy to see people who hide from their pain in drug and alcohol addiction, the most prolific and acceptable comfort drugs of the day are busyness, stuff and criticism of others. These can all look really noble. Working hard to provide for your family is important and valuable. Standing up against the wrongs and injustices that we see happening in the world is so necessary. When these things are warped, its not very pretty. Some how, being stressed has become an achievement, as if working to your maximum should get a round of applause! Being right (especially on social media) has become more important than being kind.

Take 5 minutes out to ask yourself some tough questions. "Is my busy life me trying to drowned out the sound of my brokenness? " "Am I criticising others to divert my attention from the parts of my own life that I'm dissatisfied/struggling with? Do I feel powerless to change what I feel, so am trying to change others around me to accommodate my pain?" This is both the "rest" I see, and the pain.

This is a healthy kind of pain, like removing a thorn, cleaning a cut or putting a dislocated bone back in place. It's necessary for healing and wholeness. It's going to take bravery, patience and time. The willingness to stand still in the silence - to rest. To give yourself the chance to hear the deep cry of your soul and spirit. To face the pain that makes you run and hide and say "No more. It is time"

New life starts with a birth. Labour is a process of deep aches, followed by painful contractions with periods of rest, where the body adjusts and prepares for the next contraction. Each contraction has a purpose and brings the new life closer. I believe this is a year for us to step into the same spiritually. To allow the combination of good and productive pain, and quiet rest to bring us into a place of healing, and wholeness - completion.

May 2020 be your greatest year yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...