Skip to main content

How Deep? 1/5


How Deep

Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach.

Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 

As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as if it was their own. They are willing to wear their heart on their sleeve and create a safe place for others to be vulnerable.  They listen not only to the what is said but also hear the unspoken words that hang in the silence. For the sake of another persons healing, they listen to the stories that many of us would hide from. Those gifted are able to show the mercy of God in such an amazing way and are natural counsellors usually finding people opening up and sharing their worries and heartache.  Learning to set healthy boundaries is vital!

This depth comes with other costs. Their willingness to feel, can be seen as weakness when they break into tears over "the smallest of things." They often get ridiculed for being "oversensitive" with eye rolling being a regular response to their "dramatic" sharing. Being side stepped, unheard and not given the respect they deserve can lead to frustration, isolation and issues of low self esteem. 

 In a church environment, when the "deeps" aren't heard, seen and valued  there's a danger of church becoming "efficient and practical" It sounds okay, but is that really how you'd describe Jesus? It was the mercy and compassion of God's love that sent Jesus to the broken world. Jesus spent time with prostitutes, thieves and the homeless. I believe he would have listened to many of their stories, sharing in their grief, pain and shame. He sat with them and loved them and later, died for them. It was His compassion that led to the feeding of the 5000.  It was the Father's mercy that sent Jesus to the cemetery in Gadarenes (Luke 8:26) These examples are neither practical nor efficient.

To fully express the love of God the church needs to listen to what the feelers hear in their close heart-to-heart interactions with the world. Their findings should be weighed and considered when making decisions. When "deeps" feel safe and honoured they will bring so much insight. 

On a personal level I know I'm not designed for living day to day in this way but as iron sharpens iron, spending time with precious people who do, has taught me how to embrace the strong emotions of others (rather than run and hide!) In return, they need trusted friends who are watching over them and are willing to say "you're in too deep" when the darkness becomes overwhelming. I'll continue to swim close to the surface watching this deep gifting in others in awe and wonder, knowing we are part of the same body. 

1 Corinthians 12:14-27 One Body with Many Parts

Yes, the body has many different parts, not just one part. If the foot says, “I am not a part of the body because I am not a hand,” that does not make it any less a part of the body. And if the ear says, “I am not part of the body because I am not an eye,” would that make it any less a part of the body?  If the whole body were an eye, how would you hear? Or if your whole body were an ear, how would you smell anything?

 But our bodies have many parts, and God has put each part just where he wants it.  How strange a body would be if it had only one part!  Yes, there are many parts, but only one body.  The eye can never say to the hand, “I don’t need you.” The head can’t say to the feet, “I don’t need you.”

 In fact, some parts of the body that seem weakest and least important are actually the most necessary. And the parts we regard as less honorable are those we clothe with the greatest care. So we carefully protect those parts that should not be seen, while the more honorable parts do not require this special care. So God has put the body together such that extra honor and care are given to those parts that have less dignity. This makes for harmony among the members, so that all the members care for each other.  If one part suffers, all the parts suffer with it, and if one part is honored, all the parts are glad.

All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it.



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this, it’s absolutely beautiful from your boldness to speak out what needs to be heard and put into practice love laid down 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Your compassion and honour for other body members shines out from your words x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

Rules, Responsibility and Rebellion 2/3

  I love to watch movies where good versus evil and like most viewers I'm rooting for good to triumph. But every now and then the writers add a twist. You spend the entire film cheering on the goodie only to find at the last minute there was information you didn't know which changes everything, and you'd been on the wrong side all along!  Throughout history there are those who were once considered rebels, that we now see as heroes. Rosa Parks, Martin Luther and... Jesus! The pharisees in the time of Jesus were strict observers of not only the written Law but also the many traditional oral laws passed down through the generations. They were determined to keep themselves set apart for God. That's a good thing right? Jesus on the other worked on the Sabbath (healing people) and allowed His disciples to also (picking and eating wheat) He spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes and taught women. These were not the actions of someone keeping the status quo. To add insu...