Skip to main content

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you:

Dogs have baby dogs that we call? 

Cats have...? 

Kangaroos have... ? 

Chickens have... ? 

God has... ? 

While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods? 

Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God." 

We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15) 

Every time we say "Father God" we are announcing to the earth that we are the offspring (also Acts 17:29) of the Creator of the heavens and earth, made in His image and of the same kind. This is a new revelation to me and its just a little bit mind-blowing. 

 When God commissioned Moses to see the people of Israel set free from Egypt, He said  "See, I have made you like God to Pharaoh," (Exodus 7:1) Moses was full of fear and trepidation because he knew he really wasn't anything special in himself. Yet through him and his brother Aaron, the ten plagues happened. Each one showing that Moses had more power running through him than all the gods of Egypt, each plague showing power over the elements, health and even life itself. 

When Jesus came He demonstrated a new concept of how "Godship" was to look. He used His power and authority not to rule over people but over sin, sickness, spiritual oppression, mental health issues and hunger. He worshipped His Father, and the sacrifice that was "owed to the gods" He paid himself, in full, with His own life. He taught His disciples through words and demonstrations before giving them the opportunity to experience and practice all that He did; heal the sick, multiply food, walk on water, raise the dead, cast out demons. He expected them to do all He did, and even greater works. John 14:12"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father." 

Brothers and sisters, this is the reason we are here. Every single one of us has authority and power that is meant to be used. While we have achieved great (and terrible) things within our human capability, man's best on its own is not enough. The church has worked so hard to love, comfort and feed its local community and those abroad. It has sacrificially served and given its all. But so much of this is still only "man's best"

In 2 Timothy 2:20-21 we read "In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for special purposes and some for common use. Those who cleanse themselves from the latter will be instruments for special purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work." I don't know about you, but those two verses make me a little uncomfortable. To believe that we have special purpose seems so arrogant. Culturally, that doesn't sit right at all with me. The kind of humility I've grown up with as a Welsh person, and within the church, is to serve quietly in the background, not drawing too much attention to myself. I love the verses in Matthew 6 that include "don't tell your left hand what your right is doing." and "Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." There's a certain comfort in being invisible. How do we hold that in healthy balance with a call to be like gold and silver of special purpose?  While Jesus didn't make a fuss about His own needs, He certainly wasn't invisible. 

We are called to be holy, because our Father is holy. We think of holy being without sin, which it is, but the more accurate description would be 'Other' (Set apart) the opposite of this isn't sinful, but ordinary! If we are living ordinary lives, we are not living holy lives! 

I hear the Lord asking His children to realign themselves to be Christ-like not only as the lamb but also as the lion. Using the name of Jesus to make the powers and principalities of the air bow and relinquish the hold they have on our families, town and nation. To fully engage in the practise of using the gifts of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:8-10) with an expectation that God is willing and able to work despite all our flaws as He did with Moses. This isn't a laying down of day to day living. After all gold cutlery is used to get food in your mouth the same as wooden cutlery! It's walking in a continual expectation that God makes the ordinary holy. Whether that's praying in the spirit while washing the dishes, asking who God wants to heal in the supermarket, keeping your ear inclined for prophetic words for or asking for wisdom and knowledge in work. A police officer who knows where the drugs are hidden during a police raid, a doctor who hears the root of the problem despite the symptoms not showing, a mechanic who finds the hidden problem after a chat with Holy Spirit! These kind of occurrences open the door to share the ever present love and power of the Father and a softening of hearts towards the Gospel. 

While navigating the waves of fear and excitement, courage and cowardice, I am taking baby steps forward in the 'family business' where intellect, logic and common sense become servants of faith, trust and obedience, not the ruling masters. It scares me!  I'll no longer be able to hide behind the humility I've grown accustomed to where I work really hard then, if noticed, give God the Glory. It'll require a different kind of humility, serving God in ways that are so far out of my comfort zone where I have no skills to fall back on, being fully dependent on the leading of the Holy Spirit, where I will have to trust 2 Corinthians 12:10 "For when I am weak, then I am strong." 

 This isn't a journey to be done alone. Support, encouragement and accountability is invaluable. So if you also feel stirred to take new steps forward to see God's Kingdom ever more present find a group of companions to share with, and I'd love to hear from you too.

 Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Rules, Responsibility and Rebellion 2/3

  I love to watch movies where good versus evil and like most viewers I'm rooting for good to triumph. But every now and then the writers add a twist. You spend the entire film cheering on the goodie only to find at the last minute there was information you didn't know which changes everything, and you'd been on the wrong side all along!  Throughout history there are those who were once considered rebels, that we now see as heroes. Rosa Parks, Martin Luther and... Jesus! The pharisees in the time of Jesus were strict observers of not only the written Law but also the many traditional oral laws passed down through the generations. They were determined to keep themselves set apart for God. That's a good thing right? Jesus on the other worked on the Sabbath (healing people) and allowed His disciples to also (picking and eating wheat) He spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes and taught women. These were not the actions of someone keeping the status quo. To add insu...