Skip to main content

Autumn leaves

 Isn't it amazing that trees get rid of their toxins through dropping their leaves. First they take back all of the goodness,  then all that's left is the waste product, displayed for all to see. Bit more glamorous than the mammal kingdom! 🤭 

But this year, the trees seem to be holding on to their greenness, stubbornly refusing to recognise the change of the season. I've been pondering this and asking the Holy Spirit if there's something for us to take note of. He is ready to blow on His church, but there are things that we are reluctant to let go of - control, politeness, dignity, tradition (not necessarily old traditions, anything we do repeatedly, can become a tradition) unforgiveness, offence, to name a few. We know, of course that the leaves will be blown off in the next few weeks, whatever their colour, and so too the wind of the Holy Spirit will remove what no longer brings fullness of life to the Body. He is looking for those who respond to the heart of God, and trust there is purpose despite the feelings of loss, grief and exposure of this stripping process. What we see as spiritual nakedness, the Lord sees as empty vessels, uncontaminated and ready to carry the new. Don't be fearful of what it may look like. There's no guilt or shame! Let those around you see your repentance, as unashamedly as the trees display beautiful autumn colours and attention, praise and glory will be given to the Father. Let go of your own plans with the same ease as the oak tree drops acorns,  knowing that a seed is buried before it grows in to something fruitful. Get ready to see the harvest that follows.


Prayer response. 

Jesus, I thank you for all the good gifts that you have given me in previous seasons. (Think of some specifics)

Will you show me any  "old wine" I'm holding on to. (Rest and listen. Are there any memories that flash through your mind? If so, spend some time to think about the memory. Ask Jesus to show you what it is about that thought that He wants to speak to you about. Is it something to forgive, repent, let go of or a combination?) 

Give me your precious Grace,  which enables me to do what I can't in my own strength. Amen


 Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,

Luke 5:36-38 He told them this parable: “No one tears a piece out of a new garment to patch an old one. Otherwise, they will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old.  And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the new wine will burst the skins; the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins.


John 12:24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...