Skip to main content

Choose your glass.

Drinking a lot of wine can be a funny thing, because you never how it's going to effect you. I love it when I just sing (badly) at the top of my voice, and dance as if no one is watching. It's like my whole body comes alive and music turns into liquid oil running through my veins, not a bit of me able to keep still or silent. A state of ecstasy, full of joy, completely free. Other times I'm a complete wreck; crying my heart out, tears and snot running down my face - its not pretty!  Or I've felt invincible, as if the impossible no longer exists. All insecurities or fear of failure,  evaporate.  I've been so intoxicated that I can't stand and all I can do is lie on a heap on the floor until the weightiness lifts. And there's the talking none stop in words no one else seems to understand. 

This could be my memories of over doing alcohol, in my teens and twenties, but it's actually a description of being filled with the Holy Spirit.  Having tried both, there's no comparison. Alcohol is tasty, and being off your head can be great fun at the time but it's a not so cheap counterfeit. The original version, which our body, mind and soul were designed to experience, leads to wholeness, holiness and restoration. There's healing in the tears. Regrets are dealt with, not piled on. It's a goodbye to condemnation, not hello. It's an experience of intimacy that comes from being truly loved, seen, heard, known. (And He'll still be with you in the morning!) Being flat out on the floor isn't a place of hopelessness, but a time where He reveals the secrets, mysteries and strategies of heaven.

Everything in moderation isn't a bad philosophy. It's pretty healthy in fact, but not where love is concerned, and God is love. I want to live a life full of the abundance that Father God has for me. When I'm full of Him, that's where my freedom is. It's the source of my joy, strength, love, patience, boldness, faith. Somewhere along the way, I seem to have forgotten this, and reduced the size of the cup I'm drinking from! I've been satisfied with having a fuzzy feeling, and saying thank you very much Holy Spirit, that'll do nicely. I'm not sure why. Embarrassment? Responsibility? Insecurity? Laziness? Fear? Dignity? Yes, probably a mix of all these. So here's my dilemma. Am I willing to give up on the more of God so that I can be seen as vaguely respectable?

 I don't think I can and so it's time to hand over my need to be in control and to trust that being though being full of the Holy Spirit may mean I become as "undignified as David" it will bring a transformation that has good fruit. Getting "drunk" with friends is so much better than by yourself,  so why not pull up a seat at His table, and taste of His goodness. And let's choose the large glass!


Acts 2:15-19 These people are not drunk, as some of you are assuming. Nine o’clock in the morning is much too early for that. 1No, what you see was predicted long ago by the prophet Joel: ‘In the last days,’ God says,  ‘I will pour out my Spirit upon all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy. Your young men will see visions,and your old men will dream dreams. In those days I will pour out my Spirit even on my servants—men and women alike— and they will prophesy.

Ephesians 5:17-19 Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.  Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.

Song of Solomon 5:1b Oh, lover and beloved, eat and drink! Yes, drink deeply of your love!

Psalm 34:8 Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!

2 Samuel 6:16 As the ark of the Lord was entering the City of David, Michal daughter of Saul watched from a window. And when she saw King David leaping and dancing before the Lord, she despised him in her heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Rules, Responsibility and Rebellion 2/3

  I love to watch movies where good versus evil and like most viewers I'm rooting for good to triumph. But every now and then the writers add a twist. You spend the entire film cheering on the goodie only to find at the last minute there was information you didn't know which changes everything, and you'd been on the wrong side all along!  Throughout history there are those who were once considered rebels, that we now see as heroes. Rosa Parks, Martin Luther and... Jesus! The pharisees in the time of Jesus were strict observers of not only the written Law but also the many traditional oral laws passed down through the generations. They were determined to keep themselves set apart for God. That's a good thing right? Jesus on the other worked on the Sabbath (healing people) and allowed His disciples to also (picking and eating wheat) He spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes and taught women. These were not the actions of someone keeping the status quo. To add insu...