Skip to main content

Traffic lights

  I discovered last year that I'm neuro-diverse! There are great things about seeing the world in  a different way. My mind is both linear and abstract all at the same time. I'm creative and a bit random, but not random at all! I can look in the boot of a car and see in an instant if and how luggage is going to fit. My mind works full speed pretty much constantly which means I fit in huge amounts of thoughts in, in a small amount of time. 

 But then there are the negatives. One thing that has been a struggle for me, is to get from seeing a task that needs doing, to completing it. This has left me, many time, feeling like a bit of a failure! 

 Then a couple of weeks ago,  an amazing friend prayed, like the Bible says, for a renewal of my mind. And the Holy Spirit answered. 

 He explained to me that my mind had something like traffic lights going off. Getting laundry from dirty state, all the way to being in cupboards has had around 6 sets of traffic lights for me.

 Take off the clothes -🚦-

 Get laundry in the basket -🚦 - put washing in the machine - 🚦- hang washing up to dry -🚦- get washing in -🚦- put it to air -🚦- take it off the horse and fold -🚦-take to the right rooms -🚦- put away.  Actually, that's eight sets of "lights". For me, some of these lights are usually green. I've found it pretty easy to put the washing out once it's washed. Others, have almost always been red. I've had a "floordrobe" for as long as I can remember and getting clean stuff in my cupboards has almost been painful! It's embarrassing! I'm nearly 50 and still can't do a basic adulting task!

  But these traffic lights have gone! And it's amazing. I can go straight from seeing a dirty cup in the lounge and take it straight to the sink...no delay. I know it might sound silly, but to anyone who has a  "floordrobe,"  or a pile of unopened mail constantly on the worktop, it's huge! I can't believe how much easier day-to-day life is, and after all the years of being critical and frustrated about what I thought were my "short comings".  I'm hoping this will  increase my compassion for others too. If I had invisible "traffic lights" standing in my way, others probably do to.

 Shame and stigma is wanting me not to share this testimony, but I'm going to share anyway, with a loud THANK YOU JESUS!  


So if any of this is giving you a lightbulb moment, my prayer over you, is "Do it again Holy Spirit." 

And if you want to chat some more about this, feel free to send me a message. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...