Skip to main content

Knowledge v Peace

 Lately, I've been pondering Adam and Eve eating the fruit they weren't supposed to. Literal or not, what does it demonstrate of God and humanity? 

The first temptation was to know stuff without asking God. 

Ouch! The first temptation was to know stuff without asking God. From the beginning, God intended for us to walk and talk with Them (Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit), but that wasn't enough for Adam and Eve. They chose an "upgrade', to know what was good and evil for themselves. Independence. There are ideas that Christianity is about keeping a whole lot of rules. Sadly, these ideas originated from the demonstration within the Church, but that isn't really it. Following Jesus is a "reset to factory settings", back to a walking, talking, asking, learning, ongoing conversation and relationship with the Creator of the universe - Father God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. Adoption into this family means death to independence. Laying down independence can seem scary, dangerous or stupid. It's what's kept many of us safe. A wall to stand behind. Protection. But you won't need it here. This is where the Peace of Heaven can be found. Peace that transcends all understanding, protecting your heart and mind. Because our limited knowledge doesn't lead to peace. Knowing all about good and evil doesn't give us peace. But Peace is who Jesus is. When the focus is taken off "what is good and evil" and returned to the Trinity, life is no longer based on a set of rules. It becomes a dance with the wind of the Holy Spirit. Are you ready to dance?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...