Skip to main content

Favourite flowers

 One of the first things people ask when they hear I'm a florist is "What's your favourite flower?", and I ponder every time before answering. I wonder through the  garden in my mind (like a mind palace but prettier!) looking to see which to pick. Beautiful blue delphiniums are pretty high on the list and I almost swoon when I see them. The delicious scent of roses and peonies as you take in a deep breath, is just something else. Snowdrops I wouldn't look at twice if they flowered in the summer, but they don't! They flower when the days are cold, wet and grey. A sign of hope. 

I have an emotional response to the flowers I work with. The scent, texture and colour all evoke a different response. Soft pinks, peaches and pale blue flowers make me all dreamy, imagining I'm running through a meadow barefoot. Give me sunflowers, bright orange geums and yellow roses and I turn in to an energetic Tigger, bouncing of the walls.  Hyacinths irritate me, so although I appreciate their beauty, I keep them at a distance. The shape, structure and elegance of white lilies make them one of my favourite to work with, but alas, the smell is too much for me, so no good for the house (the workshop is cold enough to keep the smell down!)

There's a calmness I feel when working with foliage, whether that's scented eucalyptus or shiny palm leaves. It's the foliage that gives structure to the design and also what allows each flower to have it's own space, to be seen. 

Chrysanthemums and carnations aren't very exotic, but they last  longer than many other flowers. In grave pots, where my grand delphiniums  wouldn't manage one winters day, the carnations and chrysanthemums stoically stand.

Don't doubt your value or beauty. You are wonderfully created for a place and a purpose. That might be to carry joy wherever you go, or speak wisdom or bring a calmness that settles others. You may have endurance to stand, giving strength to others who are struggling. You might irritate some people, but that doesn't devalue you. To others you could be their inspiration.

You, my friend, are loved and precious 🌹

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...