Skip to main content

Beauty in Winter


They say the sun will shine again, 

It won't be very long,

And it's easy to believe that's true,

I'll keep on being strong


But as the winter digs in it's heels, 

And joy seems oh so sparse,

A niggle starts to grow inside,

My smile becomes a farce.


The increase of the darkness, which

happens day by day,

is stealing all my hope, and now,

I think I've lost my way.


Held captive by the rain and ice,

In a spiralling black hole.

The cold and barren landscape is

a mirror for my soul.


Then, looking through the window,

Something caught my eye, 

A spider's web was glistening

in the hedge nearby.


I see the snowdrops pop up their heads

As if to say "Hello!"

They'd been buried in the darkness too,

They nod and say, "We know."


A blackbird sits and looks at me;

He sings a cheery tune.

The notes fly by and pick me up,

And stay with me 'til noon.


Dry, tired leaves hanging on in hope,

Now glittering with frost,

Perhaps I, too, can hang on in,

Perhaps not all hope is lost?


Spring WILL arrive. it always does,

And brings its many flowers.

Then, like the cherry, I'll bloom again

And sing and laugh for hours.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Rules, Responsibility and Rebellion 2/3

  I love to watch movies where good versus evil and like most viewers I'm rooting for good to triumph. But every now and then the writers add a twist. You spend the entire film cheering on the goodie only to find at the last minute there was information you didn't know which changes everything, and you'd been on the wrong side all along!  Throughout history there are those who were once considered rebels, that we now see as heroes. Rosa Parks, Martin Luther and... Jesus! The pharisees in the time of Jesus were strict observers of not only the written Law but also the many traditional oral laws passed down through the generations. They were determined to keep themselves set apart for God. That's a good thing right? Jesus on the other worked on the Sabbath (healing people) and allowed His disciples to also (picking and eating wheat) He spent time with tax collectors and prostitutes and taught women. These were not the actions of someone keeping the status quo. To add insu...