Skip to main content

Cat - part 2

 We now have a cat called Sionyn, although "have" is currently a bit of a stretch of the imagination! Over the last year, he's taken to wandering off days at a time, coming back rather full! On the vet's advice, we're careful how much we feed him. He's always been an excellent hunter and has even brought squirrels home - for a little takeaway on the side! He eats everything he catches. He went on another walkabout in the New Year, but this time, he didn't come back after a few days or a few weeks, and after a couple of months, with heavy hearts, we decided to pack up his bowl. Last night, as I was standing in the kitchen, in he strolled, meowing, and headed straight to where his bowl was kept, only then looking at me with great surprise that there was no food waiting...after four and a half months! After I picked my jaw up from the floor, I looked at him to make sure he was keeping ok. There were no clues as to where Sionyn was hanging out, but it was very close to an ample food supply! He's huge! Practically Garfield. 

Obviously, I'm so glad he's still alive, but I'm sad and slightly jealous. I'm jealous because I want us to be the only ones feeding him. We chose his name and know when his vaccination dates are due. We know how much feed keeps him fit and healthy. I'm jealous that he's been tempted by the promise of a never-ending supply of treats that taste great but are causing him harm, rather than staying where he's loved enough to be given all he needs rather than what he wants. And I'm sad. Sad he's settling for a mediocre, sluggish existence rather than a life full of wonder and adventure. 

What do I see? 🤔 I wonder! Am I that different from Sionyn? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Psalm 22 - Good Friday's Soundtrack

 Our house feels like living inside a musical. Not necessarily in the song quality, but definitely in quantity. It’s hard to say "Hello," "You're welcome," or "We're halfway there" without someone breaking into song. And it’s not just music. Our days are packed with lines from films, adverts, and TV shows. “Coffee, coffee, boy, do I need coffee!” “Bacon is good for me!” I’m not sure it’s entirely normal (which is why I try to restrain myself in public), but it’s definitely normal in our house. One phrase triggers the whole thing—someone says a single line, and the rest of the song or scene starts playing in everyone’s heads. Just like that, an everyday comment becomes a full production. And when Jesus was on the cross, he did just the same. He said: “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” To the Roman soldiers crucifying him, it probably sounded like a dying man's cry. To someone reading the Bible today, it can sound as if Jesus believed ...

How Deep? 1/5

How Deep Years ago I went scuba diving while on holiday in Corfu. Having enjoyed an afternoon snorkelling we decided venturing further and deeper into the ocean was sure to be even better. Once kitted out and jumping in the sea, as the rest of the group went straight down to the ocean bed I was still floating on the surface. I was handed more weights but it didn't help. I've always loved swimming but it was soon quite obvious that it didn't matter how well I was equipped on the outside, I simply wasn't equipped on the inside! I continued to swim on the surface watching in awe and wonder as those braver than I explored places I couldn't reach. Ephesians 3:18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is.  As part of "the body of Christ" some are called to demonstrate the depth of God's love. These people are sensitive and care deeply. They feel the pain of their fellow man as...

Holiness and Humility 3/3

 Here's a little teaser for you: Dogs have baby dogs that we call?  Cats have...?  Kangaroos have... ?  Chickens have... ?  God has... ?  While we know that a puppy is still a dog and a kitten is still a cat, surely God's children aren't gods?  Yet in John 5:18 When Jesus called God, "Father" that's exactly what the Pharisees understood Jesus to mean, and they were understandably shaken by the thought.  "For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."  We know that Jesus, as God's only begotten Son, is and was God so of course that's accurate. But why, knowing the heretic nature of this comment did Jesus teach us to pray "Our Father, who art in heaven"? Why does the Holy Spirit make it known in our souls that we have been adopted into a new family, and we cry out "ABBA, Father!"? (Romans 8:15)  Every time ...